6.6.08

May 15, 2008




Let me see that.

Hold on sweetie, we'll get to that in just a moment.

Excuse me?

Oh, you haven’t seen the Obama clip. Sorry!

What clip?

It was the day after the NARAL endorsement. Talk about perfect timing.

What?

He’s in some factory, probably in Michigan, and a local reporter, a woman, asks him about his plans to help the workers and he turns and makes this “sweetie” comment. It’s a real YouTube moment. You don’t see her, but you can hear the earnestness in her voice. You just see him and his reaction.

And, what was it?

Dismissive. You know, he’s a man’s man.

Well it doesn’t pay to be woman’s woman.

 I don't know about that.

You're right. Occasionally you get praised by John Edwards. 

See, there's something.

Explain to me how form becomes baggage.

Content. I like your baggage.

Gee, thanks.

You know I got in an argument today with a total stranger.

Let me guess,

He was telling the guy over the counter how much he hated you. I scoffed and he looked at me and said, “Now it’s not because she’s a woman or anything.” I stared and said, “I don’t believe you.”

Save your energy.

Well it made me think about my own racism. I’m not one of those people who claim I have none.

Was he black?

 No, he was white. But I wanted to pinpoint the racism in my perception of Obama.

Maybe there is none.

No, there is, it’s in the “sweetie” moment. He was surrounded by executives, all male, all white, and after he patronized the woman, the men all chuckled knowingly. It was a split second reaction that I replayed a dozen times. I thought to myself "he's appeasing them." 

White men appease too!

Yeah but I've observed countless moments of George W. with...

Now the boy meets girl ritual he enacts makes my skin crawl.

What about Obama?

It’s different. For me it’s different, I don’t know.

He was so courtly towards you early on.

He's a performer. 

Yeah, but you can still glimpse things.

What’s your theory?

His post-racial inner circle will probably remain all male and all white.

I’m leaving here depressed again. Thanks.


Anytime. #